If you are interested in keeping healthy eating habits, you cannot overlook microgreens at any cost. These baby versions of vegetables are full of nutrients, easy to grow, and affordable. With such an outclass list of benefits, you might also want to inquire if you can juice microgreens?
You can juice microgreens, as it is a quick method of introducing them to your diet. Almost all types of tiny greens are suitable for juice. Their taste may vary as some are bitter while others are mildly sweet, and it is up to you to decide what you prefer. Microgreens can yield a healthy glass of juice, plus you can also add them to smoothies.
Microgreens are slowly emerging as a vegetable type you can buy or grow at home. Scientists have named them functional food, meaning they can provide your body with the energy required. This article will shed light on the pros of juicing microgreens and all the steps that go into their making. Let’s read!
Table of Contents
Microgreens For Juicing: Are They Safe Enough?
As a chef’s favorite, microgreens are often a perfect addition to salads, soups, pizzas, sandwiches, and almost all stir fry dishes. Each micro herb has a unique taste, ranging from spicy or peppery, mild sweet to earthy and herb-like.
However, it doesn’t end here, as these baby plants also have juicing potential. It is because microgreens are a rich source of many micronutrients and antioxidants. Reportedly, about twenty times more than mature plants. Though they appear smaller, they are nutritionally superior and thus ideal for juice.
Another benefit of juicing microgreens is they are easier to consume. Due to the tiny size, you can juice and eat more in one go, but sometimes, their intense taste might be a turn-off for a few. Nevertheless, you can always combine them with sweet fruits to make the juice pleasant and drinkable.
So, if you are looking for a miracle drink to keep you healthy and prevent diseases, microgreens juice is the answer. But, remember to consume it in moderation, as overdoing the juice might lead to a misbalance of nutrients in the body.
How To Effectively Juice Microgreens At Home?
Juicing microgreens at home follows almost the same steps as other fruits and vegetables. However, their size can be a hindrance when squeezing out the liquid from them. But, nothing can beat the taste and texture of home-prepared juice.
The following tips and tricks will help you in juicing microgreens effectively.
- As young vegetable greens, different micro greens have distinctive flavors and textures. So, the first step is choosing the type which best suits your taste preferences. For instance, raw cruciferous veggies taste slightly bitter, while leafy greens are sweet and earthly.
- If you own a juicer, all you need to do is insert the microgreens into the machine, and that’s it. You might have to push them with force in the juicer chute as they are a bit hard to work.
- The entire microgreen is juiceable, and you do not have to discard the stems or other parts and toss them directly into the juicer.
- Know that microgreens are tender, so there is a chance they might get lost in the juicer, and your efforts will go to waste.
- Another easy alternative is to use a blender for the purpose. Also, this way, you’ll get more fiber content from the microgreens in the form of a smoothie.
- Combine the green juice with other sweet fruits such as mangoes, pomegranates, apples, or grapes. In the end, you’ll get a delicious combo of flavors.
Mouth-watering Healthy Microgreens Juice Recipes
Have you ever tried juicing microgreens before? If not, we are here to tell you some not-to-miss juice recipes with microgreens that you need to make. Let’s get into them!
A. Ultra-nutritious microgreen juice
- Two ounces of microgreens
- Five carrots
- One apple (cubed)
- One banana (peeled)
- One or ½ inch of ginger root
- Begin by feeding the veggie and fruits into the masticating juicer.
- Side by side, gradually add in the microgreens. So they don’t end up getting lost somewhere in the machine.
- Once all the ingredients get juiced, transfer the final mixture to clean glass.
- The juice is a unique combo of herby and sweet flavors, perfect for starting your day!
B. Delicious red microgreen smoothie
- A cup full of radish Rambo microgreens
- ¼ cup of chia seeds
- One cup of frozen strawberries
- Two ripe frozen bananas
- Toss all the ingredients inside a blender.
- Run them through the machine until smooth.
- Next, pour the freshly prepared smoothie into a glass and enjoy the yumminess.
- This drink will give you the energy and nutrients that your body craves. Try it now!
What Are The Benefits Of Juicing Micro Greens Instead Of Mature Plants?
A recent USDA study indicates that most types of microgreens have significantly higher nutrient values than their mature counterparts. The reason is that microgreens are harvested soon after germination, so they are extra concentrated with all the nutrients. Juicing them is a quick and efficient way to incorporate all the goodness into your daily routine.
Microgreens teem with essential vitamins such as A and C that body needs for protection against various illnesses. They play a major in boosting the immune system and keeping the eye and skin in an excellent state. Moreover, these tiny plants aid weight loss and lower the level of bad cholesterol. Also, it provides an ample amount of energy to the body.
The biggest advantage microgreens have over mature plants is that the former are easy to grow. You don’t have to worry about their high-cost tag as you can start growing your microgreens. It will allow you to use fresh and crisp ones in your healthy juices, salads, smoothies, and more.
Microgreens are widely known for their versatile nature and use in different cooking styles. They are basically the seedlings of herbs, plants, and vegetables. Not only are they great for use as visual appeal and aroma, but they are also perfect for juice. All commonly found microgreens such as spinach, cilantro, red cabbage, basil, radish, or kale can go inside a juicer and creates a super healthy drink.
Whether you want to make juice or a smoothie with microgreens, their nutrient-dense properties will improve your health and protect you from illnesses. Juicing is, bar far, the best way to add this superfood into your diet. This way, you will take in more nutrients inside your body rather than eating the microgreens raw.
If you are worried about taste, we have mentioned some delicious microgreen recipes in the article that you can make at home. They are easy to follow, and even beginners can try them. Juicing veggies is undoubtedly the new method of introducing healthy food into your eating routine.