It may come as a surprise that onion juice is well-known for its health and therapeutic properties. As a result, if you care about your health, you should consider whether or not you can juice onions.
You can juice onions as they have high water content. Use a grater, juicer, and blender to extract its juice in a larger amount. Pure onion juice is extracted from raw onion but it can further be mixed with water to be used for different purposes.
With so many health and therapeutic benefits, it is important to be aware of some of the potential negative effects. Also, what is the best approach to making onion juice and how should you consume it?
Table of Contents
Can you Juice Onions? Does it work and how?
Onion is a natural antibiotic. This vegetable can be prepared in 120 different ways, one of which is juicing. However, because it is really strong for your stomach, we recommend only a small amount every day!
Juicing Red Onion
Using a Grater
In a small basin or pan, place a box grater. A container with sides is required, but the mouth must be large enough to accommodate a box grater, also known as a cheese grater or a flat-bottomed grater.
With one hand, hold the grater’s top handle. Using the fine side of the grater, rub the entire onion. A strainer should be placed on top of a medium to a large bowl. The onion pulp is then pressed through a strainer.
Place the remaining pulp in a cheesecloth square. Squeeze more juice into the second bowl by pressing down on the pulp. Continue to press and push until no more liquid comes out.
Using a Blender
Roughly slice the onion into medium pieces with a sharp serrated knife. Blend the onion chunks in a blender until smooth. Blend the chopped onion for about 1 minute on medium-high to high speed, until it becomes a thick purée.
If there are still noticeable pieces of onion in your blender, stop it, open the lid, and use a rubber spatula to push them down into the blades. Replace the cover and blend at high speed for 30 seconds intervals until completely blended.
Place a strainer over the bowl’s mouth and a piece of cheesecloth inside the strainer. The cheesecloth’s thinness will make filtering out the juice while trapping the solid pulp easier.
Push the onion pulp through the cheesecloth and sieve into the bowl with a spoon or rubber spatula. Continue pressing the pulp until there is no more juice trickling from the strainer’s bottom.
Using a Juicer
Many juicers won’t be able to handle a full onion, but little chunks or diced onion will be too small to get through. To get the finest results, chop your onion lengthwise into quarters with a sharp serrated knife.
Use a chute and spout on an electric centrifugal juicer. You will need a juicer with a spout that you can feed bits of the vegetable through to extract juice from hard veggies like onions.
Although some juicers come with a glass collection container, you will need to put a bowl or drinking glass beneath the dispensing spout before you start because the juice will pour out as you operate.
Before inserting the next quarter into the chute, wait until the previous quarter has finished getting juiced. The juice should filter out via the spout automatically, while the pulp is gathered in a separate chamber. There should be no need for any more straining.
Juicing Green Onion
An immature onion is what a green onion is; Green onion juice may be helpful for those who cannot tolerate red onion juice due to its milder flavor. However, don’t overdo it and combine it with other vegetables. Green onions can be juiced using both their green and white parts.
Health Benefits of Onion Juice
- Onion juice is fat-free but high in antioxidant flavonoids, which are believed to boost metabolism and hence promote weight loss.
- Onions are high in immunity-boosting minerals like vitamin C and zinc, as well as phytochemicals that help our bodies fight colds, coughs, fevers, and flu.
- Onion extract is an excellent treatment for hair and skin problems. Apart from applying onion juice to the skin and hair, drinking onion water on a regular basis can help with hair loss and skin issues such as irritation and acne.
Recipes for Onion Juice
Weight Loss Onion Juice Recipe
- Half an onion, peeled and chopped, is blended with water in a blender.
- Add 1 tablespoon honey and drink it first thing in the morning.
- Drinking an onion and honey drink on an empty stomach, according to health experts, may assist the body to lose excess fat.
Strong Immunity Onion Juice Recipe
- 1 onion peeled and chopped, soaked overnight in a glass of drinking water.
- Take a few sips of this water in the morning and then continue to sip it throughout the day after an hour or two.
Recipe for Onion Juice for Skin and Hair
- Using a hand grater, grate an onion. Collect the extract (filter it through a strainer if there are still onion pieces) and drink it.
- If the onion’s intense odor or flavor is too much for you, adding salt or lemon juice may help.
- For healthy skin and hair, as well as to boost immunity and aid weight loss, try these onion juice recipes. The end product will amaze you.
What Are Onion Juice’s Side Effects?
1. Issues That Could Arise During Pregnancy And Breastfeeding
Because there is not enough data on the subject, pregnant and breastfeeding women should only consume small amounts of onion juice.
2. Blood sugar levels may be lowered excessively
Onion juice can help to reduce blood sugar levels. If you currently take diabetes medication, the juice may cause your blood sugar levels to drop dangerously low.
3. Bleeding Disorders are possible side effects
As onion juice slows blood coagulation, it raises the risk of bleeding. Do not consume onion juice if you have a bleeding issue. This is one of the reasons why you should avoid onion juice for at least two weeks before your surgery.
4. May Make Indigestion Worse
If you have indigestion, avoid onion juice because it can make things worse. It could also cause acid reflux or other issues.
While onions are widely used in cooking, their juice can easily be extracted. Onion juice has a number of health benefits. Onion juice is high in vitamins and minerals and has therapeutic characteristics that aid to improve the health of your skin, scalp, and hair. It fights inflammation and fungal infections as well as delaying the indications of aging and healing acne scars.
In addition, onion juice may assist enhance your blood sugar levels as well as your overall immunity. To gain the various benefits of onion juice, you may easily produce it at home and consume it or apply it topically.