If you frequently cook with sweet potatoes, it shows your dedication to this veggie. There is no second thought in saying they are a hidden gem packed with nutrients. So, now is the time to level up your healthy food routine and create sweet potato juice. But, you may think about how you can do it. Well, let’s find out together!
You can drink and juice raw sweet potatoes. They taste shockingly good with a subtle creaminess in terms of texture. Their mild sweetness goes well with citrusy flavors of lime, oranges, and carrots. Just wash and chop them and then juice to get a glass of sweet potato drink.
Raw sweet potatoes are equally impressive as their cooked counterparts. You can never have too many juice recipes with this yam variety, and you can try various combos with them. The detailed guide below will answer all your queries regarding juicing sweet potatoes. Read on!
Table of Contents
Juicing Raw Sweet Potatoes: Benefits VS Concerns
Sweet potatoes, just like their name, are naturally sweet with vibrant orange color. People enjoy eating them in different ways boiled, baked, roasted, or fried. Not only does this potato variety taste delicious, but it also contains several health benefits.
Here comes the fun part, if you like juicing vegetables and fruits, don’t miss juicing sweet potatoes next time. They yield a nutritious juice with a sweet-savory flavor combination. Moreover, the abundance of starch in sweet potatoes will give your drink a nice creamy texture. As long as you have a good-quality juicer, extracting liquid from them is easy and convenient.
When planning to juice sweet potatoes, ensure to buy medium-sized ones as the large type are tough to work with. Also, pick yams that appear firmer overall and avoid buying that are sprouting already.
You can juice raw sweet potatoes directly, and there is no need to boil them first before juicing. You will get a thick-milky consistency which you can drink on its own or add other fruits or veggies if you want to change the flavors.
How To Effectively Juice Sweet Potatoes
If you are new to the world of juicing vegetables, it can be puzzling to think about where and how to start working with your stored veggie stock. Today, we’ll walk you through all the necessary steps to follow for juicing sweet potatoes efficiently at home. Here they are!
- The first step is to choose smooth and firm sweet potatoes for juicing. Observe them and check for any sign of skin cracking, damage, or growing stems and leaves (sprouting). Then, separate such pieces from the rest of the batch.
- Afterward, wash the sweet potatoes well with clean water and then peel them. The skin contains almost as much fiber as the flesh, so if you want to increase your fiber intake, you can leave them unpeeled.
- Chop the yams into small chunks or strips to make them fit inside the juicer chute.
- Now, it’s time to juice the cut pieces. Most of the antioxidants are present just below the skin of sweet potatoes, so make sure to juice them thoroughly for maximum nutrient extraction.
- A masticating juicer is best for getting optimal juice yield from them and keeping the valuable component intact. But, it is alright if you don’t have one, and a centrifugal juicer will also function well.
- At this point, you can add other ingredients into the juicer, such as carrots, or oranges, to increase the overall nutrient value and enhance the flavors. Don’t forget to clean them beforehand.
- Lastly, mix everything well and add some ice cubes for a refreshing-frothy sweet potato drink.
Luscious Sweet Potato Juice Recipes: Must Try!
A. Sweet potato beetroot juice
- Two sweet potatoes
- One large-sized beet
- Two granny smith apples
- Two limes
- ½ ginger root
- Wash and peel the ingredients, then cut them into thin strips.
- Power on the juicer and insert the veggies and fruit sliced inside to juice them.
- Stir the prepared mixture with a spoon, and afterward, squeeze some lime juice on top.
- Pour the liquid into a glass filled with ice cubes. You’ll love this delicious combo of flavors!
B. Orange, banana & sweet potato juice
- One sweet potato (large)
- A banana
- One orange (unpeeled and sliced)
- Two to three carrots (medium-sized)
- Chop everything into small chunks. Don’t skip cleaning them thoroughly first.
- You can leave the skin or peel the vegetables (it’s up to you to decide).
- If you have a masticating juicer, you can go ahead with using the banana in this recipe. But, avoid putting it in case you are operating a centrifugal juicer.
- Juice them all, and your orange drink is ready, full of vitamin C and beta carotene.
Does Sweet Potato Juice Intake Improve Health?
In the last few years, sweet potatoes have gained immense popularity. The reason lies not only in them being tastier, but it turns out they are highly nutritious and sustainable food available for you in the market. Juicing is an effective way to amplify the benefits that are too many to count.
- Sweet potatoes are known as the world’s richest source of beta carotene. This essential antioxidant reduces the risks of severe diseases such as heart attacks, cancer, and stroke.
- Furthermore, it also minimizes the symptoms of arthritis, osteoporosis, and similar inflammatory illnesses, which occur with declining age.
- Regular intake of sweet potato juice means getting enough natural dietary fibers. It, in turn, cleans the gastrointestinal tract, promotes regularity, and it also reduces digestive inflammation.
- In addition, the high amount of vitamin D, potassium, and beta carotene aid in relieving heartburns and stomach ulcers.
These are just a few health benefits picked from the many you can get by drinking sweet potato juice. (source)
You have probably tried sweet potatoes in pies, casseroles, soups, or salads. But, this orange-hued veggie also has juicing potential. They are not-to-miss ingredients as they are highly nutritious, healthy fibrous food with almost zero side effects. While they may look the same as regular potatoes, they are from a separate plant family, packed with essential vitamins and minerals.
Thus, incorporating raw sweet potato juice into your diet is a great idea. When it comes to juicing a vegetable, it might not be your priority choice, but it tastes super good. You can also play with the flavors by adding fruits and veggies of your liking. Their mild sweetness allows you to create different drink recipes with them. A few easy ones are given for you in this article to try and benefit from the naturally present nutrients in sweet potatoes. It’s now or never!